Wishful Thinking

Saturday, April 08, 2006


Sure, it's a pretty self-aggrandizing little photo, but the Gators deserve it. I have to say, I'm rather disappointed in the media coverage of UF's chompionship. I mean, we had an average margin of victory of 16 points throughout the tourney, and still everyone's saying that we had an easy path or that there was no talent in this year's pool or that the finals would have been more exciting if they featured one of those teams that sells its merchandise in malls thousands of miles away from its campus (yeah, I'm talking about you, Duke, UNC, and Texas).

I mean, I know our guys are nothing to look at. In fact, some of our guys look downright goofy. Corey Brewer, above, has some of the googliest, freaky-deaky eye sockets you can encounter outside of a circus tent. But these guys play team ball the way that makes college basketball fun to watch--the way that would make NBA basketball fun to watch if every NBA team were the Pistons.

Moreover, where's the media focus on our narrative? Sure, nobody on our team has diabetes, but we're the fucking Seabiscuit of college basketball! To my knowledge, there hasn't been another team to go from being unranked in the preseason to winning the NCAA championship since Nova's run in '85.

(And speaking of coming from behind, this photo doesn't even need any of Christopher's photoshopping genius to make you hear that melancholy theme from Brokeback Mtn):

I wish I knew how to quit you, Gator basketball.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home