Wishful Thinking

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

"I've found a flaw."

I've gone a long time without a post, missing out on the big news of the last couple months: the financial meltdown leading our economy into recession, and Obama's election. Both are historic, but I just want to focus on one little issue relating to the former.

On October 23, responding to the initial mortgaged-fueled bank failures that set off the economic slide that continues today, Alan Greenspan was called into Congress to talk about the state of the economy. What did Greenspan, a lifelong neoliberal ideolgist, have to say for himself?

When Henry Waxman asked him, “Do you feel that your ideology pushed you to make decisions that you wish you had not made?”, he gave this response: “Yes, I’ve found a flaw. I don’t know how significant or permanent it is. But I’ve been very distressed by that fact.”

Wow. Nice avoidance of responsibility, Al. And let's make sure to add that it could just be a minor flaw. I mean, maybe that little flaw wouldn't lead to the failure of Detroit, fast-rising unemployment, or the worst economic crisis in a century, would it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home